Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Trying

Do you ever feel like you are trying to do something that may in fact be impossible for you to do? As you know, I did my running training program for two weeks, and then hurt my knees. I missed running this weekend and was upset that my knees still hurt. So yesterday I decided to try and work out in the privacy of our home in case something hurt and I needed to stop. I was doing my favorite workout video, Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, when the second round of Jumping Jacks had me on the floor crying, cupping my knees. Obviously I'm doing something wrong and the Google advice to "work through the pain" is not going to happen so I need a new plan. Greg suggested I work upper body and core muscles while my knees heal and focus on healthy eating habits. Then maybe in another week I can start my program again and not push myself too hard.

I'm sad though because I really wanted to jump into this and go for it. I feel like I had the mental momentum to get on a roll and someone has just popped my bubble of hopes. I know that if my knees heal and I start again slowly I'll still have enough time to be ready by September, but I'm just not off to the start I had hoped for. But such is life, there are always set backs.

This week I was waiting for my "top-up" check from work for my 6 weeks post-delivery. And it was so nice of them to send me a check for 0 dollars and 0 cents. Not quite the $700 we were hoping for. It seems all the money they were going to give me has to go to my pension plan since I could not opt out of paying that for the first few months of Maternity leave. The check is a disappointment but would have just been a chunk of money to get ahead, it's not like we owed it to someone. However, this bummer news came on the same day that we noticed our BRAND NEW fridge is not working. We've gone through 3 stoves and now 2 fridges in the past year. Luckily General Electric is sending someone out to look at it and hopefully get it fixed.

Life is full of these ups and downs, but I'm choosing to be thankful for the things we have. For the money that comes when we need it, and so what if it doesn't come when we don't need it. And for a generally healthy body that is able to heal and get stronger. I'm not giving up or quitting...I'm just going to keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Audrey... I know what it's like to start trying to get your weight down and your health back and have negative things happen, but I love your attitude, and you're right, when we are thankful, it changes our perspective and helps us to remember the good things we do have and the faithfulness of the Lord...Maybe you could get a professional to watch you run and see if there is something you could do differently when you are running, perhaps it's the way you're landing, but it's worth checking out... Bless you girl - Charlene McNabb

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there...two suggestions, your knees may hurt because they are weak. Step ups (a simple step up on to a bench or chair, you may have to start with something lower and work your way up) will strengthen those muscles and help them hold a better position/posture as your run. and google's suggestion that just work through the pain should not (personally) be applied to joint/ligament pain. I have also experienced this pain and sorry to say it was really just from the extra weight I was carrying not being well supported by the strength in those joints, and it does get better. you can also try doing stairs at home (single working your way up to skip a step)go slow and focus on pushing with your butt not just your knees. and lastly there is a book about chi running (it is a running posture, ask Mandy about it) I really changed the way I run, my ability to run farther and more efficiently with less pain. You are doing great, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete