Monday, February 6, 2012

Running with Greg


So Saturday Greg and I did our first training time together. The dynamics of running with someone else are much different than running on your own. First of all, you feel the need to keep up with your partner (and not look like you're dying in the process). Secondly, you want to do the workout without major huffing and puffing like a 60 year old smoker. And Thirdly you can't just go into your own zone in your head and make it a personal time. You're required to pay attention to someone else and communicate about pace, speed and distance.

I found out in the first 30 seconds that Greg is much faster than me. We did a minute of warm up walking and then did our first 10 seconds of running and his legs, (which are the same length as mine) seemed to take off like a bunny on crack as he lept into run. I found myself immediately trying to match his pace and keep up with him. Although thanks to our open communication skills I quickly informed him that my pace is much slower than that and this will be a challenge. But I did decide to view the run as just that, a challenge. Greg kept reminding me to run, and pushing me to go farther. As we approached our house and the end of mile 2 he said we should sprint to the house. So he took off and made it there...I walked.

I'm looking forward to doing this with Greg. He is my husband and partner in so many things, so why not in fitness. So many women choose to work on their bodies alone and don't typically work out with their husbands. But I want to challenge Greg and be challenged by him. I like hearing him say, "You're doing great...that was much faster than before". It's a new arena to encourage one another and build each other up. Plus I'm sure it will feel great on race day to cross the finish line together and know that we accomplished this major task as a team. I enjoy getting out of the house and away from the kids for a short time with him, where its just the two of us in the cold, making goals of how far we'll run this next stretch and how fast we'll go. Although running won't be just my thing to do anymore (like it was those 4 times I did it two years ago) I'm glad I can share it with my best friend.

So this week I've done 8 miles and cut out 90% of the baking. I did cheat at a SuperBowl party and again when I popped 3 candies in my mouth without realizing it. But not a pound has been shed. But I am choosing not to worry about it too much. I'm sticking with the plan and hoping my body will clue in soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. you are doing awesome but just a word of advice (I got this pearl from Mandy) STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF!! Success without self-sabatoge is only possible when you give your self realistic time to be successful. Therefore, only one weigh-in allowed every 4 weeks. That's once a month, enough time for your body to catch up with the hard work you are doing but not so much time that you cant make adjustments to continue to progress in the following month. You are awesome and I would love to do a run, maybe at the family reunion (If we all make it there) this summer.

    ReplyDelete