Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dropping the exercise ball

Today was the first scheduled training run that I didn't do. I felt my knees hurting a little after my Wednesday run and by Friday they were really bothering me. I had a massage Friday afternoon and asked my therapist to work on my knees a little, which she did, and today they feel better but still not 100%. I Googled ideas about running with sore knees and most of the advice out there is to keep running. I feel bad missing today's training and hope I can just push it forward to tomorrow, but I really don't want to blow a knee and put myself out of commission for a few weeks. So I took it easy on my knees today, and even took some Omega oils, which the wise Google suggested would help.

I also fell butt first off my sugar-free wagon these last few days. I did pass up some deserts, and I have managed to make it through the Starbucks drive through without a cookie more than once, but Liam and I made a HUGE batch of heart shaped sugar cookies for him to give his friends and I definitely ate more than one. Each sugar filled bite struck me to the core with guilt. I don't want to feel guilty about eating treats but I also don't want to turn to sugar whenever I'm bored or stressed. So I'm turning to the advice of my wise and encouraging sister, which is that every moment is a chance to make a better choice than the moment before. I used to treat my eating habits in terms of days. I would maybe sabotage a diet halfway through the day and then write off the rest of that day and eat whatever I wanted. The mentality of "oh well, I already screwed up today so why not eat this cheesecake piece too and try harder tomorrow" isn't going to fly anymore. I know that if I "cheat" and eat some brownies than the whole day is not a waste. I can still decide a few hours later to not eat a second brownie. Or maybe I just shouldn't have brownies around...period.

And lastly I have dropped my daily Bible reading habit for a solid few days now and the chapters I'm not reading are flying by...and fast. I have about 10 chapters to read to catch up to where we are supposed to be, and I know I had better do that soon before the amount I need to read is too overwhelming and I feel defeated. I really want to stick to all these goals I have set out for myself. I just need to scoop myself up and get back at it again. The sad thing is I don't even have an excuse as to why I'm not on track (besides maybe my knees). I knew there would be hard times to push through...I just didn't expect them to come as soon as they have.

However, the good news is...WE REGISTERED!!! Greg and I are officially registered for the half marathon in Disneyland California on September 2, 2012. We paid the money and put our names in so we had better show up now. Nothing like throwing money away to make a dutch man commit to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment