Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Real Cream Goes Down Smooth

I'm a huge coffee drinker.  I've worked at Second Cup and Starbucks and love everything from a hot dark roast black to a iced flavored latte.  But mostly around the house we drink a medium roast in the morning and use a flavored coffee creamer.  We mostly get vanilla flavors and although we knew they are 'lactose free' and almost never expire we would drink almost a liter a week.  The International Delights creamers are delicious but are essentially a margarine/plastic product so after being inspired by my sister-in-law I sought out some recipes and found a great real dairy alternative to use!  And, it's easy peasy.

Melt 1/2 cup Brown Sugar and 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract...


 Find a glass container with a seal, or an old jar to store it...

Once your sugar and vanilla are melted you can add 3-4 cups of cream (and I added a little cinnamon)...


 When it's all mixed together you can store it in your glass container...


 My glass container is from IKEA and was only a couple bucks, and it seals tight so it's awesome...


 Add to your brew and voila! A healthier, lower fat alternative to liquid plastic!

Besides making kitchen concoctions, I`ve been busy training with Greg, visiting friends and soaking up some delicious sun.  We`re down to only 7 weeks before our California trip and the marathon so Greg and I are also kicking off a 10 pound challenge.  I lost the pound I gained while in BC but I`m still sitting stagnant at 169, and Greg has stopped logging calories and has put a few back on too, so we want to feel good and be ready for Cali, and what better way than to engage in some healthy marital competition.  I`m going to kick his butt!

4 comments:

  1. The concoction was tasty in my coffee! Also, you forgot that I've already lost 4 pounds since our competition started...lol! (But that's probably why you stuffed me full of pancakes and eggs this morning...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted this before you lost said 4 pounds. And I'm glad you like the creamer ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear the coffee creamer tasted good. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so trying this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete