Wednesday, July 25, 2012

9 miles 10 pounds

Only 5 and a half weeks until my big half marathon day!! (those exclamation marks are more fear enduced than excitement).  I'm in shock that I only have one month left to train and that I'm not out there every day pushing myself harder.  I'm doing a few short runs a week and a little cross training here and there, then on the weekends Greg and I go out for a long run together.  Last Saturday we were out for 1 hour and 52 minutes and did 9.2 miles.  We were averaging a pretty good pace of about 9 minute miles until a big dog started following us and would not go away.  We were in the middle of a big 4 mile loop and the dog kept right up with us.  Finally we stopped to check the collar and call the owner, and when nobody answered we decided to google map their house and run the dog home.  So needless to say that slowed us down but at least pup was returned safe and sound.  The owner was shocked the dog was even missing and thanked us for running him all the ways home.

But anyhow, we're plugging away.  I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would exercise for 1 hour and 52 minutes, it's actually pretty rediculous.  Through all this training I think I've realized that a 10K or a 1 hour run is a good respectable distance that is managable and comfortable.  Anything beyond that is a little nuts and only doable for me because I can't wait to get my hands on that big giant medal, and had I known how much time was really involved in the training I might have thought harder about signing up for this, especially with a new baby at home.  Although the increase in distance and time has coincided well with Elliot's growth.  He's eating plenty of solids now and able to be apart from me for the necessary 2 hours at a time.  So this weekend we will gear up, stretch, cry a little and head out for a double digit mile run.  Insane.

I never thought I was in it for the medal but it turns out...I AM!  I'm glad for the exercise and the weight loss and the increase in my general health and fitness level, but man am I glad there's something to show for it that I can treasure and hang on my wall (yes I'm that conceited).  I anticipated the sweat, the shin splints and the sore muscles but it's the mind games that have really been an unexpected challenge.  I woke up on Saturday with major cramps, a headache, fatigue and low motivation.  Everything in my mind told me to stay home and forget 9 miles.  I knew deep deep down that I could do it and I would feel good if I just got out there, but I also knew I had good excuses to stay home.  So I dragged my butt so slowly to the shower and got dressed for the run, and while we were running I told Greg that I realize I gained weight and never committed to exercise because there are ALWAYS excuses in my mind and I ALWAYS used them.  My head was constantly telling me "this hurts, stop running, just sit down" but I needed to defeat those thoughts and learn to say "get moving, keep moving, this will feel good later".  It maybe sounds strange but I have learned a great deal about myself and how to be strong when I feel weak.

Besides running for hours, I've been busy soaking up some summer.  We're chillin in the back yard, at the Library, making cookies, painting, watching movies and just loving some time off.  I've met with lots of friends for coffee and had girls over for girly nights and I'm loving every minute of it.  I haven't been tracking my every calorie but I'm still hard at work applying all I've learned and am down to 165 lbs. this week!  I'm lighter than I have been in about 5 years or more and starting to feel like a chubby-skinny person instead of a not-too-fat fat person.  I'm so glad to be rid of those 24 pounds and I'm finally down to my LAST 10 POUNDS! I know people always say those are the hardest, but I feel empowered to push through and get this over with.  I'm swimming in some of my clothes and a little frumpy in others, but I'm not going shopping until I make it to goal weight.  The loss has been slow and steady, but best of all, maintainable.  These last 10 could take me a while but I'm so excited to look back and see a girl who decided to do something....and did it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment