Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My 10 K


 Well I did it! I ran my first 10 Kilometer race!  I remember when I used to work at a gym (and was in horrible shape), there was a girl who told me she had run 3 10K races.  I couldn't believe how awesome that was.  She was asking me to join her in this local 5K run for something-or-another but I was too scared and thought that a couple months was not long enough to get into shape.  I'm so excited that my hard work is paying off.  5K is my short runs in the week and now my long runs will be passing 10K as I get closer to my half marathon day!   Really only 4 short months ago I headed out in the winter to try and run 10 seconds and walk 50 seconds and repeat that for about 20 minutes.  I remember Greg's first run with me was 2 miles and after the first mile I said to him, "wow, we are half done! We only have 1 more mile to go...we can do it!"  - in a voice where I was trying to talk myself into it more than encourage him.  And now I'm here, ready to go out and run for about 60 minutes and walk about 5! 
Did I mention I have the BEST and most supportive family ever?! They all showed up with signs and cheered my on around my halfway mark!

including Liam who wanted to block my way to make sure I could see the sign.   
I feel like training to do 11K and beyond to 21K will be tough in the next few weeks but I have more confidence in my body now, better form, newer strategies and a much more comprehensive knowledge of what running entails and how to succeed live through it! 

1 comment: