Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Greg's 30!

 A few weeks ago my husby turned the big 3.0. and I'm glad to say I think I pulled off a good party.  I had been thinking about this party for a long time.  My original plan a few years ago was to save and take him on a surprise trip to Vegas, just the two of us.  But as the time got closer I didn't have enough money and I knew we would have a tiny new baby so that was out of the question.  So instead I just planned a party with a slight 1982 theme and invited some close friends to join us in celebrating.  Being in ministry means you're pretty much always on a budget, so I worked hard to pull it off for cheap. 
 We rented a room in Greg's sister's church and got a sweet discount because we know them and because we pastor at another church, and this town ain't that big so they sort of knew us.
 The biggest item price wise was the cake but I was not about to try and come up with something as cool or tasty as this on my own.  Greg loves carrot cake and I do not make good carrot cake, and I do not make nice icing.  I was super impressed with how the bakery went above and beyond with the 80's theme.  There was a tape, and a pacman on the other side of this and it was sooo good.
 I had asked a couple of Greg's closest and long time friends to say a few words about Greg and I myself gave a toast to how awesome he is.  I figured it's always nice to hear how great you are...coming from someone else.
 For pretty cheap I scored some poster board in neon colors and some pipe cleaners and made a big wall decoration PacMan and ghosts.  I also made a JeapoGreg game where our guests could win 80's pins as prizes for guessing the right answers.
 My table centerpieces were these neon Dollar Store baskets which I decorated with stickers to say '30' and '1982' and stuffed with candy reminiscent of the 80's.  That was a hit since who doesn't like sitting at a party stuffing their face with Pop Rocks?!
 Lastly, I asked Greg's parents for pictures of Greg as a kid/baby and added some of my own to make a giant '30' in pictures.  This was a fun feature that evoked a lot of laughter and discussion.  But because I"m nice I didn't choose anything too embarrassing.
Happy Birthday, Greggy!  Love you lots and hope you had a great party!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! What a great party! He's a lucky guy, that Greg! Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete