Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Let the training begin?!

                                           Here I am all bundled up running back in February....ugg. 

Although I've been running since the middle of January it turns out I'm only now ready to start my marathon "training" program.  Most training programs are anywhere from 10-16 weeks long but are designed for people who can run a 5K fairly easily, and I am finally there.  My training thus far has consisted of two "short" runs during the week and a longer one on the weekend and I'm now at the place where my short runs during the week are about 5K or 3 miles and my longer ones about 5 miles or 8K.  Since I can do those without coming home and falling on the floor beat red and ready to die I'm considering myself "ready" to train.

Back in January when I decided this year would be awesome if I commit to this and sign up for it along with Greg, my sister and my brother-in-law, I thought I had so much time to get ready for a race that was not until September but figured that having just had a baby I better start moving because I was so far behind anyone else.  My hips were still large and stretched from birthing my second chunky baby, I was about 40 pounds over a healthy weight, I hadn't done anything physically demanding in the last 12 months or more and even when I had it was never more than maybe 30 minutes on the elliptical.  So it turned out I was starting from a major couch potato state and needed every extra week I had.

Those first runs were BRUTAL.  First of all it was winter and I'm too cheap to buy a gym membership or track pass so I was running outside, in the ice and snow, three times a week.  Secondly, I was so fat that my knees would burn and scream at me after about 1 minute of running.  Thirdly, my running was a slow jog for Greg and lasted little more than a block here and there.

Slowly the pounds are coming off and it's easier on my joints.  The weather got slightly better and most runs were cold, but not scary cold.  I learned how to take smaller strides to save my knees and shins and the importance of warming up.  And now here I am, 3 months in, 16 pounds down, with an average of 3 runs a week and I'm comfortable running 5K and maintaining a good pace! Thank you, Lord.

However, this week I did a little trip off the curb and hurt my ankle so I gave it a good 3 days off and it feels fine.  But during my resting time I've been researching good training tips and have confirmed that training schedules typically begin with 3 miles and build from there...so here we go! The 16 week crunch is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment